Made entirely of aluminium, it won’t heat up and won’t burn your ropes. It’s a clever addition to the friction devices already found in the FTC range. The upper ring enables reeving.
Two fairleads at the end of the cylinder prevent losing wraps and overlapping of the rope. A third fairlead under the cylinder enable a finer, more precise rigging. The symmetry of the device allows left or right location of the ground crew.
The MICRO-CYLINDRE 2.0 is delivered with a strap and in its own box for easy transport and storage.
Standard: 2006/42/CE Machinery Directive
Plate: 224 mm high, 163 mm wide
Cylinder Ø: 75 mm
Strap: 9 m (29.52 ft) (for trees up to 2 m (6.56 ft) in diameter), MBS 7,500 daN
Ratchet tensioner: MBS 6,000 daN
Box: 30 cm x 40 cm – 19.5 cm high (11.81 in x 15.74 in – 7.67 in high)
Maximum Ø of rope allowed: 14 mm (0.55 in)
MBS: 4,000 daN – WLL: 800 daN
Weight: 3.8 kg without the box (5.1 kg with) (134 oz without the box, 179 with)
FTC has been manufacturing aluminium friction devices for 15 years, even though a majority of the devices on the market are made from steel.
The choice to use aluminium was deliberate and strategic:
- It's a very good heat conductor since its thermal conductivity quickly disperses the heat generated by rope friction through the device and into the air. This dissipation of heat prevents the system from reaching a melting point with your polyester ropes, making them last longer. Steel has difficulty conducting and dissipating heat, so you need to pay much more attention to rope damage when using steel devices.
- Lighter than steel: aluminium is one-third the weight of stainless steel. Therefore, our friction devices are lightweight. For example, at 5.9 kg, the MINI-CYLINDER is effortless to transport.
- Resistant: aluminium is a highly resistant material used currently in the automobile and aerospace industries, as well as many other fields. Although its mechanical properties are inferior to steel, they are still excellent once they are well dimensioned. When it reaches its limits, it will deform and then “rip apart”. There will never be a clean break.
- It is naturally resistant to external aggressive agents: just like stainless steel, the surface of aluminium oxidises to form a very resistant layer much like a protective shield. This shield is very resistant to humidity, abrasion, etc., which makes the device perfect for outdoor use.
- Aluminium is 100% recyclable. We pay careful attention to the recycling possibilities and lifecycles of our products and look to be the most respectful as we can be to the environment.
- Now you understand why aluminium, when used correctly, proves to be an excellent ally!